Getting to sleep is sometimes frustrating. You might be exhausted and think you’r ready for your bed…Your mind has other ideas!
But sleep doesn’t just feel good, its actually very important. You need to get a good nights sleep, not only for your mood but also so your body can repair and regenerate.
Unfortunately getting to sleep is something that lots of us struggle with. Its the actual falling asleep part that causes lots of us problems. Once we are asleep, there is no problem.
Luckily there are a few things you can do to try and get to sleep. Here are seven really quick ways that can help you get to sleep quicker.
- Clean your bed. It might be a psychological thing, but clean bed sheets have been shown to help you get to sleep quicker. Probably stems from when you were a baby and your parents washed your bed sheets often. The smell of clean sheets just makes you feel more relaxed and comforted.
- Count sheep, or anything else for that matter. Counting actually slows your brainwaves down. It essentially bores you to sleep!
- Breathing techniques. There are loads of breathing techniques but the simplest one is the 4-7-8 technique. The 4-7-8 method is something that yoga teachers sometimes use to meditate but it has also been shown as an extremely effective way to get to sleep. Close your mouth and breath in through your nose for 4 seconds. Hold this breath for seven seconds and then let out the breath over an 8 second period. Repeat until you fall asleep.
- Calm your mind. The main reason you can’t fall asleep is usually that your mind just won’t shut up. It jabbers on about all sorts of stuff and issues you have. You need to calm these thought and shut it down in order to fall asleep quick. This is also the basis of meditation. You need to clear your mind of all the excitement and worry. To do this you can imagine yourself in a relaxing place. A beach maybe. And imagine every detail, don’t give your mind a chance to think of anything else. Every time your mind wanders, just bring it right back to that relaxing place.
- Think in the now. Its all the stray thoughts about exciting things that are likely keeping you awake. Bring your mind to the now by concentrating on parts of your body and what you can feel. Is your back touching the bed? Concentrate on that instead of the amazing plans you have for a holiday. You can’t get to sleep if you are excited.
- Go through what you have done today, every single step. Start from when you got up, go through ever single detail, the more detail the better. You will find your mind wander and before you know it, you fall asleep.
- Relax ever muscle in your body. Another reason you aren’t falling asleep might be that your muscles are tensed up. You won’t even realise if they are. If you progressively relax every muscle in your body, one after the other, you probably won’t even make it through them all before you fall asleep.
And that’s just seven ways you can fall asleep!